Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Snippets; Burlesque style!

Todays Sunday snippets have a burlesque flavor!

In less than 8 weeks, I will be competing in Miss Burlesque Australia.

I'm still the process of working out each of my three acts. There are so many cliches in 21st century burlesque that I am trying desperately to avoid. I've really struggled with the classic routine. Bumping and grinding is said to be the essence of burlesque, but its really not my thing. Give me a fast paced song with some rhythm, with plenty of percussion and a neo-gimmick any day!



This is the inspiration for my routine for the 'Classical' burlesque section of the competition.
Fortunately, I won't be dealing with live birds (mainly because they're super creepy).


My costume for this section was made by one of my most beautiful friends, mentor and very talented costumer Wendy Herron - who is worthy of a snippets all of her own!


The costume for my Neo routine is on its way from the U.S and is inspired by the infamous Crazy Horse number.


Although my version will be a LOT more modest than theirs!




I'm super excited for my unique routine, inspired by my all time favorite cabaret performer, Meow Meow.



I saw her live at the opera house a few years ago, and was entranced.

My little claim to her fame is that we trained at the same performing arts academy.
Apparently she was visiting campus last year and sat in the rehearsals for 'Cabaret'.
I must have been busy sleeping under a rock or something that day. I still hold high hopes of meeting her.



Last but not least is the pièce de résistance; the gown!


I stumbled upon this little number a few weeks ago whilst I was thrift shopping with my friends.
It was $12, and hiding nonchalantly on the dress rack like the wallflower that it was. I snapped it up quick smart!

The puffy sleeves have already been removed. The beautiful baby blue color and the delicate cut instantly reminded me of Betty Draper and Grace Kelly.







No comments:

Post a Comment